Saturday, July 11, 2020

Reviewed: The Spymaster’s Lady by Joanna Bourne


The Spymaster's Lady (The Spymaster Series Book 1)

Why have I not run into Joanna Bourne’s books until now? In the last three or four years I  have read well over two hundred historical romances, both because I enjoy the well-written ones and for market research. I came across this one by accident. 

This Georgian/Regency period novel of romance and suspense has a strong plot, more than the usual number of twists, good period detail, and well delineated characters.  In particular, Annique, the heroine, is so very French that at times I had to grin. Ms. Bourne does not stop the story every fifty pages or so to drop in explicit sex scenes that do not contribute to the plot. There’s some sex but it’s actually relevant.

The Spymaster’s Lady reminded me of Jo Beverley’s books, which are among my favorites. Most of all, this is a page turner. I stayed up well past my bedtime because I couldn't put it down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment