Saturday, July 11, 2020

Reviewed: Katherine, When She Smiled by Joyce Harmon


For me, Georgette Heyer's novels (she invented the Regency/Georgian romance) is the gold standard. Joyce Harmon's delightful Regency romance, Katharine, When She Smiled, has all the elements of a Heyer novel: above average style, interesting characters, good plot, excellent dialog, and, well, an appropriately period "feel".


I'm not going to describe the plot, because if you're interested enough to shop for it, you'll end up reading the blurb either online or on the cover. For me, the essence of a review is why the reviewer liked it (because if Ruthie Reviewer writes something like, "I loved Goddess in Gucci: what's more fun than a narcissistic CEO whose hobbies are sex and shopping?" I know I won't like it).   

There's no sex, which is a plus for me. I don't object to explicit sex if it's actually integral to the story, but it so seldom is. I am now going to seek out Ms. Harmon's other novels; what with staying home, social distancing, and trying not to undermine my housemate's and my own diet by baking, I have even more time to binge read.


No comments:

Post a Comment