Friday, June 14, 2024

Review of An Offer for a Spinster by Dorothy Sheldon


An Offer for a Spinster (Book 1 of Willoughby) by Dorothy Sheldon caught my eye out of a bunch of similar books  because the last name of my best friend in grade school and junior high was Sheldon. I previewed the first page and found nothing to put me off  so I bought it and I’m glad I did. The Regency romance genre in the age of self-publishing is a very mixed bag.

Sheldon is the real deal. No flubs that I noticed except a word or two  (“surreal” for one) that were not in use at that time and no grammatical infelicities. An Offer for a Spinster is clean and sweet without being icky, if you know what I mean and I think you do. It’s the kind of historical romance I remember fondly from the nineties, before so many of them had obligatory sex scenes every thirty pages or so.

I won’t rehash the plot; it was not unbelievable and I’m sure many compulsive readers will sympathize with the main characters’ problems with their families. Before I was halfway through the book, I bought the next in the series, and now I find that she has written several other romances as well. Binge read time!  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment