Monday, December 27, 2021

 

Once in a while I review a book, usually one in the Georgian/Regency period. I do like other historical fiction, however, and mysteries, and besides, my father grew up in New York City not long after the period in which this series is set. I could not resist reading this turn-of-the-century mystery.

I’ve read and liked several of Rhys Bowen’s novels so I had high expectations for Wild Irish Rose by Rhys Bowen and Clare Broyles. There are a number of series running to a dozen or eighteen books that I love and keep reading, but I’ve been reading them since the first, and I think that makes a difference. Wild Irish Rose is the 18th in the novels featuring Molly Murphy Sullivan. I found it difficult to establish a rapport with the characters, coming to it so late.

I did expect something a little meatier, more in the tradition of Anne Perry’s Victorian mysteries or Charles Todd’s WWI and early 20th century mysteries. Something that bothered me a little is that it’s my understanding that the various ethnic groups in New York in the 19th and early 20th century tended to live in their own neighborhoods, like Little Italy in the case of Italian immigrants. There seems to be more of an ethnic mix in Molly’s neighborhood.

Another stumbling block for me was that Molly didn’t “feel” like a comparatively recent immigrant. But again, that may be because I’m a Joanie-come-lately to the books.

However, it’s well written and an entertaining read and fans of the series will probably enjoy it.  It’s scheduled for release on March 1, 2022.

 I received an ARC of Wild Irish Rose in exchange for my unbiased review.

No comments:

Post a Comment