Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Do You Know Where North Macedonia Is?

 

No, neither did I. But at the beginning of February, I mailed a copy of my first Georgian romance, An Unsuitable Duchess, to a new friend in North Macedonia.

I can hear you saying, “North Macedonia? Where’s that?” I had not heard of it before either (but I still tend to think of the world’s nations as they were when I was in grade school) and it’s a whole different world now. The post office clerk had to look it up.  

The Republic of North Macedonia is in the Balkans, surrounded by Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, and Albania. Its capital is Skopje.

On the right is Sirok Sokak Street in Bitola, North Macedonia.

I asked Andriana to send me a picture of the book against a picturesque background. And then, as in the introduction to that movie classic, Casablanca, we waited…and waited…and waited…

An Unsuitable Duchess finally arrived in Bitola on April 15, two and a half months after I mailed it. The pictures Andriana sent make me wish I could visit North Macedonia because it looks fascinating. Its history goes back into antiquity (it was invaded by Persians in the late 6th century BCE).

Below is the clock tower in Bitola, the Saat Kula, which is also visible in the street scene. I love the architecture.



Then there’s a café scene, below, which I particularly like. That beverage looks coffee- and chocolate-based: two of my favorite things. Thanks, Andriana.

 

To the right, for comparison, is a picture long-time friend and fellow Sherlockian Lisa M. took in Paris of Captain Easterday’s Bargain when she was there for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup (soccer, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the sport). Lisa, I can’t believe you toted a trade paperback in your luggage.  

Don’t you wish travel was more like Star Trek’s transporter beam? The places we could visit!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment